Former UAM Vice-Chancellor Being Investigated following Internal Audit

December 2nd, 2013 by

zA former UAM Vice Chancellor’ financial records where the topic of a recent UofA Trustee meeting.

Clay Brown, who left UAM mid-year, is the topic of any internal audit, which points to several irregular purchases and expenses.

Financial discrepancies that were found included multiple improper purchase card violations, nine misplaced Forrestry annex furnishing items, 19 unauthorized uses of the chancellors signature stamp, a $479 invoice for a 2011 holiday party for the school of forestry that was submitted and paid twice, among other policy violations.

The results of the audit are being turned over to prosecuting attorney Thomas Deen to determine if criminal charges are to be filed in Circuit Court.

Deen told MLive that he expects to receive the report next week, to begin his investigation.

MonticelloLive will follow this case as it develops.

7 Responses to “Former UAM Vice-Chancellor Being Investigated following Internal Audit”

1. An acquaintance says:

I am ashamed of this site publishing stories without knowing all the facts. Just because you can e-print the “news” doesn’t mean you should. I am ashamed of you Mr.Monticellolive.com !

2. Taxpayer says:

I am glad to see we are keeping track of the people appointed to spend our Tax dollars resposibly for higher education. People really dont know how much fraud, waste and abuse goes on everyday!!

3. Before the bashing begins says:

Before the keyboard jury begins, I would like to say this. Dr. Brown is the only reason I have a degree and great job. He did more for UAM students than most. He knew us by name and made every effort to be approachable and available. When I was about to be removed from school due to inproper paperwork he took it upon himself to find me and inform me. I do not come from a well-known family. I do not come from the local “high society”. When he could have removed me from school due to inproper conduct he did not. He became a mentor of sorts. He made me a better student, more active and more focused. I wish nothing but the best to Dr. Brown.

Take my 2 cents and buy some hope.

Thanks Dr. Brown!! This will be a trying time for you but know that there is a number of people that believe in you.

4. Wray says:

Baretta said it best, “Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.”

Hats off to you Mr.Monticellolive for exposing this scandalous abuse of public funds.

GO WEEVILS !!!

5. An acquaintance of “Mr. Monticellolive” says:

Why would someone lash out at any news source for making the public aware of what is going on in the city they reside and pay taxes in? There is nothing in this article saying Clay Brown is guilty, it simply informs the public what the auditors are reviewing and then they will turn the results of audit over to Thomas Deen for decision of what if any charges will be filed in Circuit Court. There is nothing to be ashamed of this is news and the public deserves to know just as they will know if he is guilty or not. When that is announced hopefully there will be no one ashamed of the findings. I guess the tax payers could be ashamed tax dollars are being spent because there is enough evidence to promote the need for an audit. Thank you Mr. MonticelloLive for keeping everyone informed.

6. MF says:

Dr. Brown also helped me out when campus police was a little too aggresive with their enforcement of school rules. I would like people to give him the same respect that he would give them and get all the facts before making a decision. This negativity is hurting UAM not Dr. Brown because he has moved on with his life.

7. Accounts Payable says:

From an accounting background there are audit controls missing. One should only pay off original invoices to prevent duplicate payments. There should never be a signature stamp used for authorization.

I do not know if this is just a bunch of accounting errors and poor judgement or if there was actual fraud.

I will allow professionals to look into the situation and make informed judgements.