Outfitters RX

Outfitter's RX

Rhythm & Roots Festival Postponed – No Date Set

June 14th, 2011 by

The Chamber of Commerce board voted, Monday, to postpone indefinitely the annual Rhythm & Roots Festival, planned for October.

The lack of chamber funds, based on last year’s festival expenses seems to the be primary reason for the cancellation of the annual community festival.

Choose another article

Newer article: City Attorney Bill Daniels Resigns

Older article: Tree Falls, Destroys Home, with Resident Inside

47 Responses to “Rhythm & Roots Festival Postponed – No Date Set”

1. drew co. parent says:

THANK YOU CITY OF MONTICELLO…. for doing nothing!

2. No wonder!! says:

Star City and Warren can pull it off! Monticello is SUPPOSED to be the ‘HUB’ of SE Arkansas!!! ‘They’ want us to ‘keep our money in Monticello!’ Really?!? Splash pad gone wrong!!! No Bass tournament at the lake! We sure do have a lovely town square!!!!! For what?!? Buildings falling down! Empty buildings all over town!!!
    Why am I still here, you ask? By my good judgement and good fortune, I have a college education and a good job here, thankfully, but that is all!!!

3. Dianah111 says:

We quit participating when the name was changed a few years ago.

4. confused says:

tourism to what ? the dollar stores and wal mart ?

5. ryan says:

hmmm I can think of something that would bring ppl Monticello, bass tournaments. lol I had too. I feel that if the ppl that ran the festival would open their eyes to what our neighbors in lincoln and Bradley county are doing and try to get some big name talent to our festival they might bring some ppl from out of town. I have nothing against local artists/groups but ppl won’t come to see a performance unless there sure they know there gonna like it. Monticello is a joke. everybody wants to make Monticello bigger but it seems that the people that can change things act like little kids and stick their fingers in their ears and say “I can’t here you”. it makes absolutly no sense.

6. J says:

Maybe we could have a big event at the lake with a fishing tournament and……oh yeah I forgot.

7. dipnet says:

WHAT??? I thought I was seeing things when I read that first paragraph. Seems like now it is all about the numbers. Guess maybe we’ll all be tricked into another tax increase next!

8. schenk says:

We need something better.
    In the fall, maybe focus on WHY people come here. Deer Camp!!
    Have a deer or sportsman festival. Tons of hunters come here and stay and spend money, not to mention bass fisherman.
    Focus on when the most people come and have something that is for everyone at an event.

9. GRAMAW says:

That is really SAD!! HEY but we get a new ball field !!!This is THANKS TO THE NEW MAYOR!!! He took the money that was already given to the chamber and did what with it I FORGOT!!

10. Josh says:

Thank you Mayor Maxwell and City council for cancelling the only thing Drew County had going for it. I know you would rather put money in more useless ball fields for the Mayors granddaughter to use, oh and lets not forget that splash pad that still doesn’t work. I can see where cancelling our only festival and taking money from the chamber makes sense. Give me a break!!! Is his 4 years not up yet?????

11. C.S.P. says:

How is it that the tiny towns around us can support festivals and Monticello can’t? (Won’t?)

12. Stacy Cater says:

Why blame Mayor Maxwell? Things were going downhill long before he got into office. So easy to blame the new guy.

13. Stacy Cater says:

Okay! I just read the article about the money going to the airport and how it is necessary to “keep Monticello growing”. Excuse me, but I can’t see how this tiny airport in a small town keeps us growing. Maybe we should hit up on the officials responsible for handing over all kinds of money for that.

14. R&R says:

I guess it is of NO concern that businesses in Monticello will lose income, families will miss out on the opportunity to do something fun and it essentially adds another nail in Monticello’s coffin. Did anyone bother to ask the residents to weigh in….shouldn’t our opinion have some weight in these decisions that affect our town?

15. Jay From La says:

Once again the city officals are choking the life out of Monticello. Like I said before the CITY OFFICALS needs to get with the times, use those Burlington building to bring factorys and jobs to Monticello. Let new businesses come to Monticello, and more events. This will bring people and money to town. Do you see how much money comes to Monticello during UAM homecoming? All the hotels rooms are booked, resturants are full, and people enjoy themselves for the weekend and go home. The future of Monticello is dark if the town doesn’t change their thought process. But change is something you can’t hold for long, a choice will be made one day. A. bring businesses, events, and money to Monticello, or B. let your town dry up and lose people, money, and a happy way of life in Monticello completely.

16. GoodOldBoy says:

Who would want to go see the same “local” bands play every year anyway. What did they spend to much money own last year? They 2 air up kid houses that they jump around in and a air up slide? Omg. Get the commerce director out,and the city council out!!!! I remember growing up in Monticello and we had a thing on the square called the “Waveless Wipeout” and it was packed. The only Waveless Wipeout here now is the splash pad!!! Now Wipeout the city council and get something going in this town. O wait,let’s invite everyone too come look at our new town square,and let them see the big nasty looking buildings about to cave in first. Now I see why the sports complex was put way out of town on 278west. Didn’t no one want anyone coming to Monticello too see how nasty it is now. Keep up the good work council,Monticello will look like downtown Wilmar. Just sayin’

17. J says:

This festival was dead. Let it rest until someone can get up with a sustainable idea.

18. doug says:

All the people i know is moving to Monticello because of their kids. Keep the school in line and keep the parks and the ball fields going. The Splash pad is a joke, go to the pool and learn to swim. center the festival around Deer season when we have more people in town. The Mayor’s granddaugher was playing ball long before he was mayor.She is a great player and sweat girl. you should not be talking about her.

19. Pookie says:

“The board will instead focus on other tourism opportunities and events to increase the number of visitors enjoying Monticello’s events and activities.”

The city council SHOT DOWN the biggest money maker and way to get more Visitors to come into Monticello. That would be fishing tournaments on Lake Monticello! We could bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars more a year if they would let us!!

20. wow says:

If you want a festival to suceed you need to have something to bring in money. The festivals around here make BIG money off of tee shirt sales thats how they afford big name entertainment. You also need a committee made up of common folks that are willing to plan for a festival all year not just a few months before. Next you need to make sure you get a good carnival company with a good name that will attract more people and more money remember this festival is fairly new and we may have to work around some dates in order to retain a good vender. Once this is done than we would be able to lock in that date. You also have to have some good arts and crafts not just your regular stuff that we have had before. The towns next to us spend between 5 and 12 thousand for there headliner entertainment. Which local businesses pay for at least half.

21. racer says:

How bout the city support drew county speedway. u would be suprised at the racers and fans that eat and buy gas before and after the race every sat night..last sat night i went through town after the race was over and mcdonalds and taco bell drive through where packed and ezmart was too.. theirs alot of revenue coming in monticello from that track why not support it..

22. mamabear says:

Once again, may I remind everyone about the $4500.00 Christmas trees on the square???

23. JM says:

R&R- Of course they didn’t ask the residents of this city, they never do! They continue to take away everything that might bring a little fun and revenue to this city and everybody is just supposed to agree and live with it.

I for one am getting sick and tired of these ppl telling me what to do! The city council takes away funding to the Chamber who has no choice but to take away the one festival we have to look forward to all year, and do what in its place?? NOTHING! Oh wait, we did have that nice little carnival of rusted up old rides from the 50′s! Hey I know, why don’t we build another splash pad or some more ball fields!! I mean c’mon!! WAKE UP MONTICELLO!!
    Personally I think we need to do get rid of every single person on the city council and start fresh with people who actually give a crap about this city, since the current council obviously could care less! We are supposed to be the hub of SE AR?? Are you kidding?? We are nothing but the hub of a bunch of rich jacka–es who have nothing better to do but take away the fun for the rest of us while trying to make their bank accounts bigger! Makes me want to sell my house and MOVE!

24. Average Joe says:

I bet there have been more people complain on this than actually went to the Rhythm and Roots festival. If you don’t like how something is handled, go to the city council meetings and let your voice be heard. I guarantee the city council is not sitting around reading these posts. If you disagree with something CALL YOUR COUNCILMAN. If your tired of falling down buildings, CALL YOUR COUNCILMAN. If you want something done or your opinion heard, Call your councilman, or better yet, quit complaining on Monticellolive (no offense Joe) and RUN AGAINST HIM or HER.

For the airport money – I don’t fly but I know of people who work for companies that provide jobs in Monticello only because that airport is located here. That airport does provide the people who can afford a plane a place to park it but it also provides jobs in Monticello. EFS GeoTech is one such company that employees several Monticello residents. They take aerial photography all over the US and were lucky to have them located here. Besides, It was grant money awarded, not local tax dollars. (Kinda like getting a company match on your 401K – Its free money)

For the Bass Tourney – That lake is the future water supply for Monticello – Complain all you want now, but in the future when the aquifer dries up and we need water you will be thanking the council for taking proactive steps to try to limit the amount of pollutants in the water. At least there not as strict as Lake Maumelle – They don’t even allow motors…..

25. other events? says:

ok i just got to ask…what other events to enjoy monticello are they talking about? i been here close to 40 years and i aint seen the first event that monticello has enjoyed. we got UAM and a few ball fields…if you aint into higher education and chaseing a ball around like a puppy in a park your just pretty much outta luck.

26. C.S.P. says:

@Average Joe – How does prohibiting fishing tournaments affect the future use of the lake as a water supply? One has nothing to do with the other.

27. schenk says:

There are opportunites for a good Festival type activity here, and make a lot of money.
    Race tracks help out small towns in BIG ways!
    Bass Tourney’s would help.
    Water, didn’t they leave the old house places and just flood it up? That lake has mercury in it, as do most lakes/rivers. How much stuff was left in the ground before it was flooded? Sewer stuff and all?
    What pollutants would be put in the water? A crank bait, rubber worm?
    It’s not like it won’t go through a treatment before into the tap.
    More water is wasted in town on watering grass and lawns it makes me sick. As high as gas is, let it all die.

The town is dying, there is nothing here, not many jobs and it’s getting worse. They need to focus on bringing in new jobs, growing and making this a better place to be.
    Even Dermott has a Crawfish festival, come on Monticello.

28. J says:

The lake as a future water supply. Wow I hope not. Many may have forgotten that when building the lake the city never required nor did they attempt to remove the many old septic tanks, rusty plumbing and even houses and barns etc. before flooding the area. If you want to drink that go right ahead. The lake was never meant as an alternative water supply. I know I know that is what they said it was and that is what they told the government to get the grants to build it and buy the land. But, if that was the case folks there could never be a boat on the lake with greater than a nine horse power engine. EVER. Where would certain people test their new boats before shipping them off to the buyers. Still would have to drive to wherever they were going before I suppose. Probably why Lake Maumelle doesn’t allow motorized boats at all, because they are using it for drinking water or plan to.

29. Misses my home ... says:

Thank you Average Joe for stating the facts on why we have Lake Monticello in the first place. I lost my home because of Lake Monticello, and, frankly, I could care less if we have a bass tournament on it or not. That lake was originally to be Monticello’s water source, that’s it, cut and dried. It was hard enough losing my home for the water source issue, much less because of bass tournaments!!

30. Jay From La says:

To Average Joe, how can you spend money supporting events in Monticello if there is no money made working in Monticello to spend? The airport is for the FEW, AND I DO MEAN THE FEW that can afford it Average Joe. No one is catching a flight from there for vacations, or flying in there to visit. If you can make a good living in Monticello, you will spend more money in Monticello. If you”re making $14 to $17 and hour in Monticello right now your livin good, but how many jobs Monticello pay that much????????????? Build your economy and everything else will following. If not the town will continue to dry up lose events, money and people.

31. Pookie says:

Average joe- If they are worried about the pollutants on the water, they better just quit letting boats out there period. All the pleasure boaters with the ski boats put out more pollutants than do bass boats!! But I do agree CALL YOUR COUNCILMAN to complain!!!!!

32. oyvay says:

Suggestion: Post who all we can contact to get things actually changed in the sidebars. I know, I know,”contact your councilmen”…yeah,that falls on deaf ears. “Well you voted for them”, no, I didnt….We are spiraling downward in Monticello and those that care can only stand idly by and watch it happen.

33. GRAMAW says:

I blame the person that can take care of the problem and DOES NOT!! As of today it is MAXWELL!!! The chamber had the money…… Maxwell and HIS C/C took it away whatever makes no CENTS to me at all. Stay tuned we have many more years of the BS…. anyway HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

34. No wonder!! says:

To Average Joe:

The lake is supposed to be the future water supply for Monticello? Really? Cuz the one-and only-time I took my kids out there to swim, there were used condemns, used sanitary items, dirty diapers and nameless other items that people just ‘dropped’ out there. The bathing suits were so stained with dirty water I threw them away! We should be so proud!!

35. Jo says:

Well I can tell you I have not been to the event in a while but my kids enjoy it. And no I don’t agree with everything the mayor has decided but for goodness sake keep his family out of it the girl can’t help that her grandpaw is the mayor and that she enjoys to play ball. The ball fields are nice they really are but I think they are going over board with them. By the way how did you know she plays ball you must have a kid or family member that’s plays out there or something huh? Leave the kids out of it they ain’t the ones who ran for mayor and is making decissions. They are innocent

36. k says:

The festival was a joke anyway. The only reason my family ever went was to look at the antique cars in the car show. There was absolutly nothing there that interested us.
    Even our kids hated it. 30 minutes after we arrived, they were begging to go home.
    By October, it’ll be forgotten. There are other & better festivals near by, in October.
    Get back on topic peeps, this isn’t about the lake.
    It’s a joke too… except for the people that lost their homes like ‘Misses my home’.

37. Average Joe says:

@C.S.P. You are right, preventing fishing tournaments will not protect a drinking water source especially when we have people treating the lake like it was their own personal trash can.

@ Jay from LA – I agree it is hard to spend money when you don’t earn much money. But notice I did not say go to the festival and spend money, I said not that many people went to support it. There were many free things to participate in. Fishing derby, concerts, 5K run or even just walking thru the booths and entering for the free giveaways. As for the airport, its a local airport. no one expects a Delta commuter jet to land here to take us to the casino. Once again – the place provides jobs. These jobs are for pilots that do not own the company or even the planes they fly. Do you think a company from out of state would think about relocating or expanding here if they couldn’t fly there small company plane in to check out the area. That is more help to economic expansion than the MEDC is. How do you think were going to build the economy without an airport.

@Pookie – Imagine the types of post and comments if they banned all boating on the Lake – I think the city council would be strung up on a rope.

@Oyvay – RUN AGAINST THEM!!!!!!

@No Wonder – Welcome to Monticello, Were things are usually not planned out all that well. Like putting trash cans beside our future water source or using property purchased for the sole purpose of relocating the city services like the Fire dept which is an empty lot 10 years later. The list goes on and on………

38. DOC says:

I feel like the city council does read this. Is the city council going to be liable as a whole or individual when the buildings on the square finally collapse on someone?

If we as Monticellonians don’t like the city council we have had for years, then someone needs to run against them so we can VOTE THEM OUT.

If Not then call them continuosly until we start seeing results. A few comments on Monticello live is not going to get the answers we want from them.

They took the tax money that was supposed to pave the streets of Monticello to pave the road to the lake, which is county property.

They took our tax money twenty thousand plus and spent it on the Square. Which belongs to the County not the City, I’m sure the county appreciates it .

39. community member says:

To my fellow community members of Monticello. I know it seems like Monticello has stopped participating with annual events, but we have not. The lack of funds, reduced business donations, lack of community participation and the present economy has caused alot of the events to be cancelled this year. I serve on several committes and let me just tell you, it is very hard to raise money these days. Don’t be so negative about our great city, we have alot to be proud of and we need to continue to support our community. So instead of pointing fingers, let’s raise ours hands and help our city to accomplish all it can be.

40. Let me b in charge says:

Vote me into the chamber of commerce committee and I will give us the best festival EVER!!! It’s called SPONSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. Dennis says:

Banks, Arkansas (population 127), has the Buck Fever Festival every year, or at least they used to. Over 2,000 people attended one year. Population 127 with no hotels, no ball fields, no splash pad, no lake, no hospital/hospital board, no economic development commission, no gas stations and only one grocery store! I say we get the Banks, Arkansas city council to run Monticello for us.

42. Suggestion Man says:

Over the past few weeks, I’ve seen people complain about everything from the fire station to the lake and even that the community shouldn’t be supporting UAM (see comments associated with the new community center that Jack Lassiter proposed). Through all of these gripes and complaints, there is one underlying ideology that ties them all together.

NO ONE WANTS TO COMPROMISE. It seems to be a common misconception that Monticello, as a whole, is only capable of completing one task at a time. As proof, I would lay before you the fact that people are complaining about PROGRESS. It doesn’t seem to matter that we’re getting improvements to the square, because the Splash Pad isn’t complete, we don’t have bass tournaments, and the festival has been cancelled. We don’t care that we have a new 3% hotel tax (which doesn’t affect any of us) to help fund a new convention center, because construction hasn’t begun on the new library, the fire station hasn’t reached a solution, and the building on the square are falling in.

If you’re not willing to go to the city council meetings and voice your opinion THERE instead of on a website where you have the comfort and convenience of anonymity (no offense, Joe), then you have nothing to complain about. If these issues are not important enough for you to get out of your desk chair and take a personal interest in, then THEY’RE NOT IMPORTANT. Stop being keyboard warriors and DO SOMETHING. There are those of us who live outside of the city limits that don’t even get a vote on city matters, yet we are affected by the changes to Monticello the same as everyone else. Most of the ones on here complaining DO have the ability to affect change.

That having been said, I would also like to point out that one problem does not negate the rest. Just because we need to update and repair the buildings around the square does not negate the fact that we also needed to update the square itself. Just because we don’t have a new fire station does not mean that we do not also need a convention center. Just because we need to keep the ROUGH AND READY

43. time for change says:

iv read these coments and agree with alot and a few not so much… i think its rediculous that “the hub of southeast arkansas” never has anything worth going to or comeing from the short distance from other towns to see and take part in. however i cant see why Mayor Maxwell is made to look like the reason for this. monticello hasnt had ANYTHING going for it since back in the very very early 80s when farha amusments stoped being our yearly carnival. and as far as the mayor he has weather anyone wants to admit it or not has done more work towards getting monticello back on track than any of the past couple of mayors. the sewer ponds are being quickly brought up to code, your not seeing near the amount of city workers lolly gaggin around pretending to work. im not saying the Mayor is perfect but i am saying he cant be blamed for a problem monticello has had for several decades….and that problem is even if we had some decent entertainment come here i doubt very seriously if anyone from monticello would show up. i remember when the boys and girls club back in 1998 had a concert where T. Grahm Brown was the headliner and at the time he had 2 big hits on the charts one of witch was written by a local song writer you know how many folks showed up….52 so before you blame the mayor ask yourself if you would bother to show up to an event cuz it takes people showing up to bring in more events.

44. Suggestion Man says:

That having been said, I would also like to point out that one problem does not negate the rest. Just because we need to update and repair the buildings around the square does not negate the fact that we also needed to update the square itself. Just because we don’t have a new fire station does not mean that we do not also need a convention center. Just because we need to keep the Rough and Ready festival or the Rhythm and Roots festival or whatever it’s being called now, doesn’t mean that we have to give up on bass tournaments or the Splash Pad. We live in the age of multitasking. All of these things need to be completed, but we have to work past this idea of “our idea should come first because everyone’s ideas are stupid.”

If we can’t get past this personal bias against progress, then the gnashing of teeth will continue, children will still cry alone in the streets, young women will cower in terror, fire will rain from the sky, Gabriel will blow his trumpet, and the time of economic judgement will have come for our town. Fiscal Armageddon. And if we ever plan on beating this “economic downturn” we’re going to have to UNIFY as a community and stop all of this bickering.

45. Average Joe says:

@ Suggestion Man – Well Said Sir! I’ll even throw in an A-M-E-N!

46. Stacy Cater says:

No Wonder,I’m sure they are not going to have us drink water straight from the lake as is. Some places filter and use water nastier than what you described. Also, had you ever thought about people and animals that pee and deficate in the water? You let your kids go in water where you can’t even see the bottom. Think about it. Could there be broken glass or used needles from drug use on the bottom where your kids step? YES!!!!

47. wow says:

wow- after reading all of these comments it was hard to remember what the story was about! O yeah – the fesitval. Sorry it has been postponed – but to be honest, last year was so horrible, im not sure i would have gone this year either. i think a break in the festival, will give time to re-group and come up with a better plan, as long as that is done, i think the council, eventually, will have something worth going to. BTW – the airport also allows medical flights to land – local ambulance services will take them from the hospital to be transported by flight to where ever they need to go. Once, Angel Flight from Childrens had to land there because the weather was so bad. So dont put them down to bad.