Quorun Court Discussing Extension of Road Tax, 75/25 Split, & Millage Increase (if Road Tax fails) – EDITEDJuly 9th, 2013 by Joe Burgess
In this video from the Quorum Court’s March meeting, they county’s governing board discusses the proposed extension of the county’s current 1 cent sales tax, which is being voted on Tuesday.
If approved by voters, the 1¢ tax will be divided with 75% going to county roads, leaving the remaining 25% available to be designated by the Quorum Court for emergencies and shortfalls in the county operating budget. It also could be used for county roads, if needed.
County Judge Robert Akin explained (at 2:25 in the discussion video) that since the November state highway sales tax was approved by voters, Drew County will receive $367,000 from the state, which is designated for roads. That is why the 25% split is being presented to local voters (since that portion of the county road expense will essentially be covered by the state’s $367,000).
Akin described the proposed tax as “a must for our county without raising millages,” referring to the county’s 1.8 millage that has not been raised since the early 1980′s.
A millage increase could be approved by the Quorum Court later this year, without a vote of the public, if the proposed 1¢ road tax vote fails to pass.
After the vote, one JP told the group, “The only reason I voted for it was because I didn’t want to have to raise the millage.” Several other court members quickly agreed with her statement.
Most of the quorum court members agree that if this extension of the current tax fails, they will be forced to raise the property tax millage to keep the county in operation.
The county has general use fund has dropped around $200,000 – $250,000.each of the past few years, due to increasing expenses.
Early voting ends today at the courthouse club room. Regular polling places will be open Tuesday from 7:30 til 7:30.
Choose another article
Newer article: Today’s Election to Decide Continuation of County Road Tax
Older article: Roscoe’s Specials – All Day, Every Day