Drew Memorial Griffin/Busby
Supreme Lending Mainline Health Systems

BIBLE

Farmer’s Insurance One

DePaul Co. Health Centers Help Wanted

ESA Staffing 2

Merchant & Planters Agency, INC.

Merchant & Planters Agency, INC.

Mingo Computer Consulting

UAM News

UAM News

UAM Sports

UAM Sports

Lampkin Will Not Seek Re-Election as Drew County Judge – Video

January 25th, 2012 by

Gasps of surprise went around the table as Quorum Court members began reading a sheet of paper Judge Damon Lampkin passed to each of them. It was his letter to the Court expressing his decision to retire after serving this final year as Drew County Judge.

In an emotional statement to the Court, and the public, Judge Lampkin said that he would be 71 years old if he ran again next year, and it was time for him to put his health first. He then read his letter to the audience which said…..

“Since becoming County Judge I have developed diabetes, high blood pressure, and wisdom enough to know my health should be an utmost issue with me, so I have decided to retire from the stress of this office and take better care of myself.”

After reading his letter, he went on to say,

“I’ve never taken a vacation in those ten years. I’ve never taken but one day of sick leave in those ten years. I don’t expect anyone else to do or put in the time that I’ve put in for this job. I love Drew County and the people here, and have enjoyed the members on the Quorum Court. I’m going to work every day until I retire January 1 .I’ve enjoyed working with you and I’m still going to be here for the next eleven months.”

Much praise was given to the Judge on a job well done, and Court member Jimmy Potter thanked him for the work he has done to the roads in the county and said, ““It’s not the same county as it was when you came in.”

The crowd gave Judge Damon Lampkin a standing ovation, and in closing Judge Lampkin said,

“This Quorum Court has paid money out of their pockets to get that road tax passed. I have paid money out of my pocket; I wasn’t reimbursed… to help the people of this county to get their roads paved. I hope whoever is elected County Judge will continue that road work. If they don’t, everything we’ve done will be in vain.”

Judge Lampkin will be County Judge until December 31, 2012, which is his birthday. He will not run for reelection.

7 Responses to “Lampkin Will Not Seek Re-Election as Drew County Judge – Video”

1. Bill Horn says:

One of the most Honorable Men I’ve every been associated with. I’ve
    Work for Judge Lampkin since 2003 and know this for a fact, Drew County will be saying good bye to a great leader. Words cannot express the integrity this man has. It will be hard for anyone to fill those size 13 shoes. Damon, in today’s government it’s hard to find
    A person with the stature seen from you in your service to Drew County. Your values have shown where your guidance comes from, God and His Word. Personally I’m not only loosing a great boss, a great co-worker. I hope and pray God’s Blessings on you and Ms Sheila and hope our friendship will always continue. May God Bless you and your future retirement.

2. Donna Majors says:

I cannont agree more with what Bill Horn said. Judge Lampkin is not only a GREAT boss but a friend as well. He was always there and never took a vacation or a day off. His leadership will truly be missed in not only county government but in all aspects of state and local government. I consider it an honor to have worked for Judge Lampkin and to know him on a personal level as well. Judge Lampkin and Ms. Sheilla are true servants in government, they work long and hard hours. I hope that you both are blessed in your retirement and know that you will be missed by all.

3. Kay Craig Malan says:

I have to agree with what Bill and Donna have said. I enjoyed working with him during my tenure as Circut Clerk and I continue to consider him to be a friend. A gentle, giant of a man who will be truly missed.

4. Legislative Research says:

Judge Lampkin is truly a great leader! Monticello will truly miss the the triple threat of Maxwell, Lampkin and Lampkin! Thanks for the encouragement Judge Lampkin. Promise to make you proud!!!

Country Mouse, Big City

5. Walter Chapman says:

It has been a distinct honor to serve under Drew County Judge Damon Lampkin as Drew County Veteran’s Service Officer. He has been the most dedicated public servant, kind and soft spoken to a fault. He has also been a friend to the veteran community in keeping patriotic ceremonies ongoing in league with the VFW, American Legion and DAV. Drew County has made tremendous progress since Mr. Lampkin was elected. Thank you Mr. Lampkin for bringing so many rural Drew Countians out of the dust and mud, and your work on Drew County Solid Waste Disposal operation. It is my hope that Drew County will elect someone who will continue to keep progress alive. Also Thanks Mrs. Sheilla for your service to our community, county and state. Norma and I wish you a happy and leisurely retirement..

6. Jim Searcy says:

It is a pleasure to serve in an appointed position under Judge Lampkin. I have had the pleasure to witness his dedication to duty as County Judge, Master of his Lodge and Deacon in his Church. I look forward to his continued friendship and service to the comunity.

7. Mae Simpson says:

My heart was made sad, hearing the news that Judge Lampkin Will Not Seek Re-Election as Drew County Judge, We are losing a great Judge one of the best, a man that gave respect to all people of Drew County . I hope and pray God’s Blessings will always be with you and Shelia for the rest of your life.

God Blessings