Social Zing

Phone Book

Phone Book

“Thank You” Note from Wounded Deputy

April 1st, 2013 by

Drew County Deputy Jeremy Chapman, who was shot in the line of duty, Wednesday night, is now recovering at home.

Deputy Chapman wants to express his appreciation to everyone, and sent the message below.

“No words can adequately express my gratitude for the outpouring of support, encouragement and generosity I have received from the community. Everyone’s prayers and selfless acts have left me humble and has made me realized how bless I am during this challenging time.

People have asked me if there was anything that I could have done differently, I guess there will always be the “what if’s” and “If only I would have’s” but this experience has taught me something about life, not patrol. I learned that friendships are valuable and time is limited.

Thank you to all the agencies that responded and the community that added me to their prayers. I know that this will never begin to express my feelings, but thank you.”

With Sincere Appreciation and Gratitude,
Deputy Jeremy Chapman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deputy Recovering from Gunshot Wounds – More Info on Deceased Suspect
March 29, 2013
Around 10:30 pm, Wednesday night, Drew County Patrol Deputy Jeremy Chapman was attempting to check a suspicious dark blue / purple Chevy S-10, parked at Big Jax convenience store (which was closed) at the intersection of East Gaines and McCloy Streets in Monticello, when he was reportedly shot by the suspect.

Deputy Chapman was able to return fire, as the vehicle fled the scene, striking the pick-up’s rear window.

Chapman was transported to Drew Memorial Hospital by SEEMS , assisted by MASI.  He was then transferred to JRMC in Pine Bluff.  He was shot twice with a 380 handgun in the chest and shoulder area.  Chapman is expected to have surgery later today, but is reportedly in stable condition, and doing well.

The purple Chevy, believed to be driven by Nicholas S. Bray (age 34, of Cleveland County), was later located in the Drew / Cleveland County line area, where multiple law enforcement agencies searched the woods for him, aided by the Arkansas Dept. of Correction search dogs.

According to Drew County Sheriff Mark Gober, the ADC tracking dogs found Bray’s body in a deer stand in a pine thicket, apparently dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound.

Arkansas State Police detectives are conducting the investigation of the incidents, and told MLive that the victim’s body has been sent to the state crime lab for autopsy.

Sheriff Mark Gober wants to express his appreciation to all agencies involved; including the Monticello Police Dept. Arkansas State Police, sheriff’s depts. from Chicot County, Bradley County, Cleveland County, and Desha County.    He also complimented the efforts of the Drug Task Force, ADC tracking team, SEEMS, MASI, DMH, JRMC, and all other law enforcement and first responders who assisted during this situation.

Sheriff Gober also offered a heartfelt thank you for the prayers and concern that were offered up for Deputy Chapman, as well as asking for continued prayers for the victim’s family.

More information will be posted on MLive, when it becomes available.

Choose another article

Newer article: Drew Central’s New School Superintendent Is……….

Older article: Thurman Does It, Again!

40 Responses to ““Thank You” Note from Wounded Deputy”

1. GRANMAW says:

GOOD JOB MEN!!

2. Lt. Tim Nichols says:

First of all I would like to thank God that Jeremy is going to pull through this incident. I want to thank everyone who helped with this search and gave ther time, thoughts and prayers. I know it ment a lot to me and others who work in law enforcement and most importantly Deputy Jeremy Chapman. He is a good deputy, person and most importantly a great friend. Thank you again for the thoughts and prayers. Thanks to MPD, ASP, Chicot County, Bradley County, Cleveland County, Desha County, DTF, ADC, SEEMS, MASI, DMH, JRMC, all DRew County Law Enforcement, and all other agencys helping in which I might have missed. MOST IMPORTANTLy GOD

3. Ron Berry says:

Every time an officer makes a stop or answers a call there is a possibility that they will face a life threatening situation. I hope people take time to think about what law enforcement risk to make your life safer. Prayers for Deputy Chapman and thankful he is still with us today.

4. ashley wallace says:

Good job Jeremy (doughboy) thank god u r ok…

5. Todd Ferguson says:

Just another reason we should pray for all our Law Enforcement officers everyday.

6. crystal says:

Prayers for jeremy and his family!! I am sure he doesn’t remember but he arrested me and changed my life for the better so I am very thankful to him for that and god that is in stable condition!!!! God bless!!!

7. kristiekay&&laceyrea says:

Heyy Chapman.!! we hope you get better and we love yhouu.!!(:
    me && moma will prolly be at your house when you come home to see you.!! <3 you

8. Sheila says:

Praying for a quick recovery.

9. Lisa Webster says:

I am so glad to hear the officer is doing well. Prayers go out for all the men and women who protect and serve, often at a great cost. However, it is also important to remember that the young man who took his like was somebody’s son, friend, or brother. I can only imagine what went through his mind those last moments. My prayers to his family as well.

10. Blondie says:

Praying for ya Jeremy!!!

11. Shane Williams says:

Thank The Lord that Jeremy Chapman was able to go hame to his family, safely. The Lord was looking after him. But I am saddened, at the same time that Mr. Bray felt that he had no choice, but to take his own life.

12. James wooten says:

We can’t say enough good about the hard work
    The officers do in the county. I want to say god bless
    The officer and pray he heals and thank the shooter for saving our tax ddollars by ending the case

13. Tecoliamclendon says:

Praying for this officer an family he make speedy recover

14. mary withers says:

15. Beverly Lloyd says:

Jeremy, our Church sent a prayer request for you, so I was wanting you to know that we are praying for you and hope that you will visit our Church soon. Ms. Mary would love to have you sitting beside her. Take care.

16. Brenda Reed says:

Jeremy, Glad to hear you are going to be ok. You are in my family’s prayers for a speedy recovery. You and your family are in our prayers for your peace and comfort that will come from God.

17. Jamey says:

I talked to Jeremy earlier today, he says that he is fine and hopes to be released today.. He is a dear friend of mine and my children as well. We are glad that his guardian angel was protecting him and pray that he gets well soon..

18. Mike Dawson says:

Answered prayers that Deputy Chapman will be OK and that there were no other victims.

19. Allenms10 says:

This may not be the time to bring this up but when is a good time this could have turned out a whole lot differently, It’s also a reminder to those Corium Court Members that say that these Deputies don’t deserve a pay raise, at least comparable to the MNPD, because things like this don’t happen in Drew County which is still one of the lowest paid Agencies in the State for its size. Let’s all be thankful for the Deputies that do put their lives on the line for us in Drew County, and contact your JP of your District and demand that they do something about the pay because things like this can happen anywhere not just the big cities. I would also like to say thank GOD he’s going to recover fully without any issues we hope; it is a traumatic event to suffer this type of injury. Thank You Deputies for all you and the Police Department do for the citizens of Drew County. GOD BLESSES YOU ALL.

20. Lt. Rausch retired DCSO says:

any man or woman who has taken the oath, retired or active, and worn a badge for a living, is my brother and sister. it is that reason that there was a lot of support for JEREMY. if it had been one of the other brave brothers or sisters, the help would have been the same. that is what makes me proud to have worn a badge. it says somewhere in the good book that God chooses the peacekeepers. I think that special people do this work, no matter what. I love you Jermey and please get well soon. we need you

21. cathy morgan says:

May God be with the Officer and his family I will keep them all in my prayers. I would also say thank you To all the officers in Drew county for keeping us all safe. To the family of the suspect may God help you through this troubling time.

22. Ron Graham says:

We can all rejoice the officer will be ok. These brave men and women never know when they will be in danger.

23. Ryan says:

Just last week, I met Mr. Chapman. I was leading my young daughter on a horse down the edge of a small road. He stopped and introduced himself. Seems like a great guy.

24. Glennis Eastwood Holland says:

To all of our Officers,police officers, sheriffs dept,fire depts, all of those who put their lives in arms way for our safety, You are heroes in every way!! May GOD be with each of you always!To the man accused of shooting the deputy Chapman, my prayers are with his family!! GOD BLESS US ALL< and GOD PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!

25. Tim says:

Glad is okay!!!

26. Felisha says:

To the officer who was wounded, I am sorry that you had to experience such a tragedy and I am thankful to know that you are doing well. My prayers are with you and your family is this time of healing. However, we must also remember the victims family as well, Yes, the victim may have not done the right thing, but the family; his mother, sister, uncles, aunts, cousins and so on need prayer that God may watch over them in this time of grieving. This is not a matter where we can laugh to ourselves as someone stated “Thanks to victim for saving our tax dollars and ending the chase”. If you were in this situation would you (as a family member) like for to read such a message. This is very hard and sad situation for all……. Thanks to all the men and women who put their lives on line daily to protect us as citizens and also Thanks again for the prayers for the family!

27. Bishop Sam Wherry says:

The epidemic of handgun violence strikes one of our finest and efficient law enforcement officers and thanks to the Almighty God he remains with us here in mortality. Prayers from all our intercessors in the World Links Network are being prayed for the Deputy and his family. We applaud Drew County Sherriff Mark Gober for his persistence and professionalism with this incident and the resolution thereof and again May God Bless and keep our Brother and that nature of the Almighty God Jehovah Ralpha(The Lord who Heals) in Jesus Name heal Officer Chapman.

28. beingmyself says:

PRAYING FOR ALL !!

29. Festus Haggerty says:

I remember hearing folks talking about “There were 3 cops that stopped that little old lady. They’re so abusive of their position.” This is why when an officer is out on a call, other officers move in that direction. Now we with there had been 2-3 other police present when this happened, to prevent it.

30. Bry Taylor says:

So very grateful for our officers. They do an awesome job!!! We will be praying for this young man and his family.

31. Sandra Chapman says:

Jeremy is my son and I would like to thank you all for your support and prayers for Jeremy. His dad and I are so very proud of him and as a parent this incident has been our worse nightmare. We’re so thankful that he is recovering. Your continued support and prayers for him and all his fellow officers are very much appreciated.

32. Big g says:

Hey brother it’s good to hear you are going to be ok. My family will be praying for you and I will come by and check on you when you get settled back in . This is unfortunately an eye opener for all law enforcement officers and the general public that this is not Mayberry and bad things can happen real fast. Law enforcement is a dangerous job no matter how small the town is and this is proof for those that don’t believe it. Please keep all involved in your prayers daily.

33. Nayrada says:

Glad to know he is alright
    Praying for a speedy recovery

34. Tidd says:

Yall talking about this being Drew County well I know that Monticello is in Drew County but he stopped in front of Big Jax that’s in town. But anyway…Hes a County Cop who did a stop in town…Im not saying he cant do that. But since he is a County Cop why didn’t he call for back up from Monticello Police. Before approaching the truck that was in township…Also dont get me wrong there are laws out there and yes I dont know all the laws around here but I thought County Cop was for the County that’s outside town. Town Cops were for town. State Troopers can go anywhere. Now besides all that…..Im glad he is alright and is going to make it home…I did say a prayer for him also…I also said a prayer for the other person too even if hes not alive now…Like someone said he was still someones son,dad maybe,friend, ect. it is sad that he thought he had to shoot at a cop. Because he might of been doing something wrong and he didn’t want to be cought…But after shooting this cop he thought he had to take his own life….Maybe he took it because he thought he killed the cop and couldn’t live with himself knowing or thinking he took a life….Prayers to all involved still….

P.S. I dont think any Cop gets paid enough no matter what…Like take this for instance this Cop was shot. When you take an oath to protect and serve knowing that one day you could be killed or even just shot at….Theres not enough money in the world to pay these men and woman for PROTECTING and SERVING….

35. PMikeJ says:

Our prayers are with Jeremy, his family and the entire 1st responder team. We understand and appreciate the everyday sacrifices you all make. Taking nothing for granted we will continue to lift them up and pray God’s protection.
    The Revival Center Church Family

36. @ Tidd says:

Tidd,
    Yes he did make the stop in the city of Monticello which is in Drew County which is very legal for him to do so. He is a Drew County Deputy which has legal law enforcement powers in the whole county including Monticello. I’m sure if he knew he was going to be shot at he would have called for back up but he is not Psychic Sister Cleo. You say state police can go anywhere in the state, well a drew county deputy can go anywhere in drew county and make arrest, traffic stops, and even answer calls anywhere in the entire county so he done nothing wrong by making the stop. But enough of that, the real discussion here is that someone who lays his life down on the line everyday was shot and he is doing well with all considered. And by me knowing this deputy I can say he will be back in the seat of his car in the near future and will continue to do his job as he has in the past because he loves his job and protecting the people of this county and state no matter what the dangers and the pay are. But Tidd I do want to thank you for the prayers you did send out to him.

37. Crystal Holland says:

Glad your ok doughboy! As many times as we joked about stuff like that it happens and im so sorry! I also want to say the previous comment left by a Crystal is not me! I’ve had numerous calls and messages asking me what was going on. So just thought I should clear that up and check on ya bub!

38. i hope u get alot better

39. Love you Chapman i hope u get to feeling alot better!!!!!